Did you know that most students struggle to write compare and contrast essays? However, this is not required. You can use transition words for compare and contrast to make your essay exciting and give it the flow it deserves hence scoring you high marks.
For a long time, transition words for essays have been the bridge that enables students to write essays that are easy to read and understand. However, you might write boring text without knowing the best transitions for essays in your paper.
If you are one of these people who does not understand how to use compare and contrast transition words, read on. By the end of this post, you will realize what transition words for essays are and know how to apply them for different essays, in essence, when writing compare and contrast essays. But first, let’s understand the meaning of transition words.
What are transition words?
One can define transition words for essays as linking words or phrases. They are used to connect different ideas of your text, so your reader can follow your arguments by understanding the relationships between other sentences. Therefore, for your essay to come out clearly, you need to understand the meaning of transition words for essays and how to use them in different contexts of your text. In the next paragraph, we will seek to understand the different types of transition words and examples.
Types of transition words
Generally, transition words for essays are classified into three categories.
These transition words for essays are used to establish logical connections in meaning between independent phrases. A conjunctive adverb affects the action. Conjunctive adverbs are not usually at the start of the clause, unlike conjunctions.
On the other hand, conjunctions are transition words that are used to join grammatically equivalent sentence elements. They are classified as;
- Coordinating conjunctions like or, for, but, nor, so, and, they are
- Correlative conjunctions like bot-and, either-or
- Subordinating conjunctions are clauses that are not equivalent in grammatical structures but are used to introduce independent clauses. Examples are; even though, although, whether, in that order.
A referent is an earlier-appearing noun or noun phrase that is afterwards referred to with terms like “it” or “this.”
A good example is; Business used entails exchanging goods for those people need or want. It now has a more precise definition. “it” in this sentence refers to business.
You can also read our article Because And Because Of Synonyms when your stuck with the two conjuction
Compare and contrast transition words
Now that you understand transition words, their use, and some examples, let’s look at compare and contrast transition words essays.
Most students have to deal with essays that require them to use compare and contrast words to explain different ideas. At this point, you will need to use transition words for compare and contrast essays.
Therefore, compare and contrast transition words are transition words used to compare and contrast between different things or sentences. By utilizing these compare and contrast words, you can seamlessly give meaning to all the points you put across in your essay.
As the title articulates, we have two types of words used in the compare and contrast essay. They are comparison transition words and contrast transition words.
Comparison transition words are used to explain what two things have in common, for example:
In the same way, similarly, likewise, or in like manner.
In an example of a sentence, it would sound like this; ”In my opinion, women can become peace officers in the same way as men can”.
On the other hand, contrast transition words are the pillar of debating ideas. Simply put, it would be impossible for you to clearly express your different and conflicting views without contrasting transition words.
Examples of contrast transition words are; conversely, in contrast, dissimilarly, or nevertheless.
Importance of transition words for compare and contrast essays
The use of transition words for compare and contrast essays enables you to
- write smoothly
- Maintain a logical order in your essay
- Easier to illustrate the comparison between different ideas
- Help in forgoing connections
- The thought process easy to follow
However, you do not need to use compare and contrast transition words in every sentence but ensure that you use compare and contrast words to illustrate the relationships between different terms and phrases.
How to Use compare and contrast transition words in essays
Transition words are used in different stages of your compare and contrast essays.
Compare and contrast words can be used to;
introduce an idea
Describe a specific time or location
Demonstrate the cause-and-effect relationship
To conclude or summarize your essay
Here are Examples of how to use compare and contrast transition words in different stages of your essays
Many different compare and contrast words are employed as transitional phrases in comparison and contrast essays. Among the best instances depending on various settings are:
Use transition words compare and contrast t To introduce an idea.
Use compare and contrast words to add new information or a new point to the current discussion, Use terms like ” moreover, ” ” additionally, ” ” and ” likewise, etc.
Use transition words compare and contrast to Oppose an opinion or notion
When necessary, you can use comparison transition words like in contrast to, conversely, on the contrary, despite, notwithstanding, as much as, but most importantly.
Use transition words compare and contrast to Make a case for causation and effect
Use transitional phrases like
- in effect
use compare and contrast transition words to conclude or summarize your essay
Use phrases like, in essence, to sum up, to conclude, to summarize, in short, and in conclusion.
Use transition words compare and contrast to Describe a specific time or location
Use words like now, occasionally, in the meantime, after, right now, all of a sudden, and once.
In compare and contrast words for location
Pay attention to words like besides, over, where, under, behind, next to, below, above, beyond, opposite, and in front of.
Universal compare and contrast transition words
Apart from the specific transition words that compare and contrast words or phrases in a compare and contrast essay, there are transition words that fit in both categories of transition words. They are called transition words for similarities.
These transition words for similarities are known as universal compare and contrast words.
They can be used in any part of the essay, depending on the context of the paper.
Transition words for similarities.
in compare and contrast essay are like;
- At the same time
- On the same token
- On the other hand
Also, when writing the conclusion of your essay, you are welcome to use the following transition words to help you tie many points together;
- To summarize
- In short
- To sum up
- All in all
Examples of sentences in which compare and contrast transition words apply
After knowing what transitionwords are and how to use them in a compare and contrast essay. Let’s look at examples of sentences in which the different compare and contrast transition words are applied.
- Regular cardio exercise is highly beneficial to your overall heart health. It also contributes to the improvement of your mental health.
- Leonardo Da Vinci and Francisco Goya were both well-known painters in their own eras. Hieronymus Bosch, likewise, was a gifted painter whose works are still highly appreciated today.
- Muslims believe that there is only one God in the universe. Similarly, Christianity is a monotheistic religion.
- Listening to your spouse’s worries and altering your behavior to address them can benefit listening to your spouse, and adjusting your behavior to address their concerns can help your marriage. Similarly, organizing spontaneous fun dates can undoubtedly add to the excitement.
- I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stop eating ice cream. In addition, I exercise every day and take good care of my teeth.
- Make it a habit to check your car’s fluid levels regularly. This, combined with regular tire inspections, should keep your vehicle in good shape for a long time.
- The number of college-educated people is growing, as is the number of women in STEM fields.
- Basketball players are typically quite tall. Gymnasts and jockeys, on the other hand, are generally short.
- India is an undeniably beautiful country with a rich cultural heritage. The country’s reputation has suffered over the years due to rampant corruption.
- On the one hand, a military career earns you a lot of respect from everyone. Soldiers, on the other hand, frequently suffer from severe depression.
- Christians firmly believe in the afterlife, whereas Hindus and Buddhists believe in reincarnation and nirvana.
- Vegans and vegetarians both abstain from eating meat. On the other hand, the former avoids all animal products in all circumstances.
As a student, you must write numerous essays throughout your coursework. Therefore, knowing the use of transition words for essays, compare and contrast transition words, and transition words for similarities will be essential in ensuring that you produce high-quality work.
The use of transition words for essays in a compare and contrast essay is not a difficult task. Ensure that you get your outline. Arrange your points clearly such that your reader will understand your point of argument.
Using comparison transition words transition words for similarities in the proper context will make your essay stand out from the rest.
Also, remember not to overuse them, as this will cause your essay to lose meaning. Finally, if after reading this post you still are not sure how to use or apply compare and contrast words, do not hesitate to contact us here.